Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Going South

30 million people use the trains in India per day. That's more people than the population of Scandinavia. Because of so many Indians on trains, I could not get a sleeper from Mt. Abu to Mumbai to meet friends. Instead I had to stop in Ahmedabad for a night (shout out to the r.p.i.-a.r.c. posse. OSC taking it back to 93) with some new friends I met in Abu.
here I am getting a bit punchy from being on the move too much.
But I did finally get into Mumbai after a couple long bus and train rides to meet up with some old friends of mine, Emerson and Genevieve, whom I met last year in Bariloche, Argentina. We're here for a couple of days, and then we're making a move for the serene beaches of South India (Goa and Karnataka) to get away from civilization.
Emerson's claim to fame is coining witty phrases while going to internet cafe's such as, I need to get my daily dose of Vitamin I, or, I just spent 3 hours with my darkmaster......
here's Emerson giving it to the security guard outside our hotel in Mumbai. The guys started mouthing off, so Emerson one-two'd him in the jaw......No, just kidding. Our security guard we think is narcoleptic, and is always asleep on the job. We think he goes to work to sleep, and then during his time off, that's when he's wide awake.
.....Genevieve, along with another lad Benton (where you at B?) were taught the backpacker religious mantra of shithead by the Australian prophet Fiona. Upon enlightenment, our initial induction into the 'way' included a 14 hour spiritual awakening till 4 am, which you can read about (here)
Mumbai is like no other city in India. There are more cars than motorbikes, there are no rickshaws, an in the 48 hours that I've been here, I've only seen one cow.
sunrise over Mumbai Harbor
The city is fairly modern and it's the only city I've seen with street signs on the corners. The old Victorian buildings remind me a bit of London, along the coast, the art deco buildings remind me of Miami, only filled with Indians instead of Cubans. It's home to Bollywood, the world's largest movie industry. It's the most expensive place to live in India, but you wouldn't be able to tell that judging from our hotel in Mumbai.
ever seen 'Saw'?
We believe it was used as the location for the bathroom scenes in the movie Saw, or at least the Bollywood equivalent complete with large song and dance scenes. When using the toilet, there's even a chinese water torture drip in the corner, making toilet use both a daily necessity and a torturous confessional tool.

Speaking of confessions, I must fess up, I'm really quite fond of Dónde está Ché Pelotas?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home