Monday, November 13, 2006

A personal loss in Bali

I lost a dear friend to tragedy.
The other day, amidst the idyllic volcanic setting of Ganung Batur, my left flip-flop succumbed to a broken spine. Over the last six years, we've been together through both good and bad times, through thick and thin, and through our ups and downs (the latter being mostly steps and hills). We've travelled through 5 continents together, and not once did you complain. I'll remember our climbs up all the steep steps of the many temples we visited in Angkor, the wet river crossings through the jungles of Colombia, and always being there for me while washing my socks during laundry day. My sneakers would put up a stink about this, but no, not you. You never complained about the odor.
You are a true trooper and also a warrior. Your uncountable mosquito kills is the stuff of legends. As part of a mercy killing, I euthanasia-ed your partner in crime, right flip-flop. May you both walk the sands of heaven for all eternity.

R.I.P. F.L.I.P. foot soldiers

For another internation soldier, see Dónde está Ché Pelotas?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home