Friday, May 11, 2007

The Seventh Continent

ornate detail of Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca
The Ristaino's have gone back to the states after joining me for 5 weeks in Turkey. Both provided many memorable moments, and both provided equally memorable quotes. Here were two of Andy's best, said early in the trip:
1. 'While you're sleeping, I'm going to __________________ your face.' (He then followed this statement with this thespian remark, same subject matter, a few days later)
2. 'I only __________________ on faces.'
I'll let him explain the blanks to you himself, or feel free to fill them out on your own.
Mark made a late surge in quotables with these two gems recited on our last full day together in Turkey:
An Aussie girl asked Mark what he's up to, and he replied, 'waiting for my brother'. She then asked, 'Weren't you waiting for your brother yesterday?' Mark replied:
1. 'We're eternally waiting for my brother Andy.'
His second thespian moment, addressing the same Aussie girl 30 minutes later:
2. 'Is the hole in my ass getting bigger?'
I think he was referring to a rip in his pants, but this is neither confirmed, nor denied.
The Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca, completed in 1993. It's the 3rd largest mosque in the world seating up to 25,000 worshippers, and has the highest citadel in the world, at 200 meters.
it even has everything a modern Muslim needs for worship, including this thing that this tourist is looking at.......
.....a fully operational, sliding roof.
As for me, I've just landed in Morocco. After a year and a half, I've finally landed in Africa, my seventh and final continent. I can now die in peace (Don't worry mom, it's just a saying. I'm not suicidal or anything.)
Morocco is an arts and crafts dreamland, as well as a shopper's dream. Here's things I've found that I can't afford to buy in the medina (old quarter) of the port town of Essouira.
Beautiful Moroccan rugs on display with eager professional salesmen ready to pounce. So far, I've avoided this purchase, but I keep feeling the pull of the dark side of the force tempting me to crossover.
beautiful leather lamps enhanced with natural dye, henna carvings, and urine for everlasting light power.
Hundreds of hookah pipes on display. Yeah right, I'll buy this. How do you think I'll explain this one to US Customs.
Needless to say, after a year and a half living out of a backpack, I'm getting a bit tired. But the thing that keeps me going, is running into stores displaying this out front.
It's an energy boost both literally and figuratively.

And never in need of a libido picker-upper, Dónde está Ché Pelotas?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home